Here’s how to ensure that your dental implant lasts the rest of your life.
Once you get your dental implant, we know that you want to do whatever you possibly can to keep it healthy and strong. While our Tustin, CA, periodontist Dr. Ramyar Elyassian can provide you with beautiful ceramic crowns for your dental implants that will look just like the rest of your smile, he and his team can also provide you with a new crown once it’s time to replace your old, worn implant crown.
Of course, how you care for your smile will dictate the health and lifespan of your crown and implant. Here’s how to care for your single dental implant,
- Make sure to brush your teeth thoroughly twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush to remove plaque, food particles, and bacteria from the crown of the implant.
- Avoid using a toothpaste that contains abrasives (e.g. whitening toothpaste), as this can wear down the crown.
- Floss your teeth, including your implant, at least once a day. There is specialty floss designed for people with bridges and implants. You may also choose to use an oral irrigator to flush out food and plaque from between teeth.
- Avoid any particularly hard or sticky foods, which could break the crown or weaken the tooth over time. If you are someone who loves crunching on ice, this is a habit you’ll want to break before it breaks your new tooth!
- Avoid or quit smoking right away if you have a dental implant. The implant process requires extensive healing, which means that the gums and teeth have to be as healthy as possible for the healing process to be swift and easy. Those who smoke are more likely to deal with slowed healing, gum inflammation and disease, and implant failure.
- Visit your Tustin, CA, dentist at least twice a year to check the health of your ceramic dental implant crown. We can also assess the implant for any damage or determine when there is a problem like inflammation that could be affecting the health of your implant. By catching these problems early, we can prevent more serious complications from occurring.
If you have questions about the ceramic crowns we place over dental implants or about the other dental services our Tustin, CA, periodontists offer, please call Dental Implant and Laser Surgical Specialists today at (714) 730-3746.