Periodontal (gum) disease often doesn't get the attention it deserves. In fact, some people simply consider it a minor dental problem. In reality, this disease can have a devastating effect on your gums, teeth, and bones, as well as your overall health. Fortunately, you can decrease your risk of developing advanced periodontal diseases by familiarizing yourself with its common symptoms. Here at Dental Implant and Laser Surgical Specialists in Orange, CA, your periodontist, Dr. Ramyar Elyassian, offers the care you need to recover from gum disease—read on to learn more.
Do you have any of these symptoms?
Gingivitis, the first phase of periodontal disease, can cause symptoms that initially seem fairly mild. You may notice that your breath never seems fresh or that your gums bleed a little when you brush and floss. Your gums may also start to recede at this stage.
Fortunately, at this point, it's often possible to reverse periodontal disease with a dental cleaning from your Orange, CA, periodontist and better oral hygiene. Flossing daily and brushing twice a day for at least two minutes will help keep your mouth clean and free of plaque.
If the disease progresses, you may notice one or more of these signs or symptoms:
- Sensitivity: Your sensitive tooth roots are exposed when your gums recede. Eating or drinking hot, cold or sugary beverages and foods can trigger pain.
- Noticeable Gum Changes: Your gums may be red, swollen, and tender if you have gum disease. As the disease worsens, your gums will recede even more.
- Pain: Inflamed gums can be very painful—pressing on them, or even chewing, can increase the pain.
- Pockets: Eventually, deep spaces called pockets may form around your teeth if you have periodontal disease. These pockets often contain pus and bacteria, making it increasingly difficult to eat.
- Loose Teeth: Your teeth are held in place by bone, ligaments, and gum tissue. Unfortunately, the bacteria in your pockets can attack and damage all of these structures, causing your teeth to loosen and fall out.
Need treatment? Give us a call
Prompt treatment can help you avoid the unpleasant consequences of periodontal disease. Call your Orange, CA, periodontist, Dr. Ramyar Elyassian of Dental Implant and Laser Surgical Specialists, at (714) 730-3746 to schedule an appointment.