Posts for tag: Laser Gum Surgery
Have you put off gum surgery because you're worried that it will be a painful experience? Laser gum surgery offers a better way to treat periodontal disease. Our Orange County, CA, periodontist, Dr. Ramyar Elyassian of Dental Implant and Laser Surgical Specialists, discusses the advantages of the surgery.
Why should I choose laser gum surgery?
Laser surgery eliminates scalpels and sutures, reducing pain and shortening the recovery period. Traditional gum surgery involves cutting your gums to reach tartar that has accumulated on teeth roots. The surgery involves scraping off tartar from the roots, reshaping bone affected by the disease and removing diseased portions of your gums. At the end of the surgery, your gums are sutured tightly against your teeth.
Not surprisingly, recovering from traditional gum surgery can be painful. In addition to taking pain medication, you will also need to stock up on soft foods, as you'll be unable to eat anything else for a few weeks.
Laser gum surgery involves removing tartar with an ultrasonic scaler, then using laser light to kill bacteria and remove diseased gum tissue. A tiny laser fiber placed between your teeth and gums delivers the laser light that targets diseased tissue without damaging healthy tissue. A blood clot, rather than sutures, secures your gums to your teeth at the conclusion of the surgery.
Laser treatment offers several important benefits, such as:
- Reduced Pain: After your treatment, you may only need over-the-counter medications to control pain and swelling.
- No Bleeding: Because your gums aren't cut during laser surgery, you won't experience bleeding.
- Fewer Diet Restrictions: You'll need to follow a liquid diet for a few days after laser surgery and a soft diet for an additional three days. Thanks to laser gum surgery, you can return to your regular diet much sooner.
- Faster Healing: Using a laser rather than a scalpel means that you'll heal much faster than people who have had traditional gum surgery. In fact, you can resume your normal activities immediately after your treatment.
- Fewer Treatments: Laser gum surgery usually only requires one or two treatments in our Orange County office.
Laser gum surgery makes treatment of gum disease a much more pleasant experience. If you're concerned about gum disease, call our Orange County, CA, periodontist, Dr. Elyassian of Dental Implant and Laser Surgical Specialists, at (714) 730-3746 to schedule an appointment.